Major fire breaks out in slum area of South Korea's Gangnam district
Nearly 300 South Korean firefighters were deployed on Friday to fight a major fire in a deprived area of the upmarket Gangnam district of southern Seoul, a fire official said.
No casualties had been reported so far, but 47 residents were evacuated, an official at the Seoul Metropolitan Fire & Disaster Headquarters said by telephone.
Huge fire and smoke were seen from the area known as Guryong Village, a pocket of ramshackle housing in Gangnam, one of Seoul's wealthiest districts. It is due to be redeveloped into high-rise residential buildings.
A total of 85 fire trucks were sent to the scene, but officials could not send a helicopter due to haze and fine dust shrouding the city, the official said.
REUTERS
Subscribe to The Manila Times Channel - https://tmt.ph/YTSubscribe
Visit our website at https://www.manilatimes.net
Follow us:
Facebook - https://tmt.ph/facebook
Instagram - https://tmt.ph/instagram
Twitter - https://tmt.ph/twitter
DailyMotion - https://tmt.ph/dailymotion
Subscribe to our Digital Edition - https://tmt.ph/digital
Check out our Podcasts:
Spotify - https://tmt.ph/spotify
Apple Podcasts - https://tmt.ph/applepodcasts
Amazon Music - https://tmt.ph/amazonmusic
Deezer: https://tmt.ph/deezer
Tune In: https://tmt.ph/tunein